Saturday, October 24, 2015

Art Journals and The White Page

I'm enjoying playing in my art journals more and more. They are fantastic to use for exploring new ideas, for practicing with new and unfamiliar art mediums, for experimenting and for recording daily or special events.
But they are also wonderful places to just "play". To have fun with your very favourite colours, materials and mediums.........all the things you love and feel most comfortable working with.
 My favourite things: Ranger Distress Spray Stains in Cracked Pistachio, Tea Dye, Wild Honey and Picked Raspberry. Pretty stamps from Prima.....I can not imagine my creative world with out stamps, so thank you to all the stamp makers and designers. Faces. Flowers and collage. All my favourite things: together on two small pages.
And of course words. Words that resonate and have meaning for me.
There is a more detailed write up and full list of products HERE at Mixed Media Place.

Does "the white page" intimidate you ? Sometimes it's really hard to put that first mark onto a clean, white, page.
I always start by adding colour, but there are many more ways of "breaking the white page."
The Spread Your Wings Academy on Fannabair's blog has some tips on how to overcome the daunting "white page".
You can see how this once white journal page was started, along with some other great ideas on how to make that first mark on a white page, HERE on Finnabair's blog.
Thanks for visiting, have a fun and creative weekend.
 post signature




11 comments:

  1. Gayle your art journals are amazing, I agree with you that it is a wonderful place to Play with techniques and have a bit of fun. Take care XX

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your creating, I am always blown away by your original and amazing designs, colors and textures.. and yes I find the white page a bit scary.. off to have a look at finnabair!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you left negative space on your page. I've been trying to get myself to do that more often...knowing when to stop I guess.
    I tend to use old books as my art journals likely for that reason...the plain white is intimidating. Even though I usually use gesso on the pages a bit of that text shows through....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a great idea, Halle. I may have to try that.

      Delete
  4. These are really lovely Gayle - the colors are so lovely on the first two... totally gorgeous the way your flowers turned out. And the last one - the wedding one - made me laugh out loud. What a fun page and great idea. BEAUTIFUL artwork. Loved seeing these. j.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Indeed, the white, blank page can be rather daunting. I think making the first mark is always the hardest. Love your pages, as always. Your colours, texture and compositions are always so unique and inspirational!...Love that quote too, by Frank Crane.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I stopped by through Bleubeard and Elizabeth's blog. What a gorgeous and spread and hugging page! So rich and it doesn't look like it is stamps and images. And I am all with you-stamps are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  7. love your work Gayle.. so unique and beautiful x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just beautiful Gayle. Love love the face one... just amazing

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks you very much for sharing these links. Will definitely check this out.. this contact form

    ReplyDelete

thanks for leaving your comment....always read and much appreciated.